Friday, February 18, 2011

God's Calling

I was raised as a Buddhist. I worshipped idols and believed that they could hear my prayers and guide me to the right direction.

When I was attending college in Chicago, I continued to burn incense to these gods until one day I realized that these idols made by man were not real. It seems that ‘something’ was leading me to the right way but I did not know that it was God Himself.

In the fall 1986, I took a linguistics class, in which there was an Asian girl named Ruby. She spoke very fluent English without any accent.

One day I approached her and asked if she was an American Born Chinese (ABC).

To my surprise, she replied, “No, I came from Hong Kong.”

“Your English is so fluent that I thought you were born here.” I exclaimed.

Since that very moment, we began our friendship that God had already planned for both of us.

On one occasion, I saw Ruby in one of the cafeterias in the college. I approached her and she asked me to sit down with her. I noticed that she was about to have lunch and that she prayed before her meal. And I had no idea that our conversation that followed was about to change our lives.

“Are you a Christian?” I asked.

“Yes.” she answered without doubt. Then she talked to me about Jesus and church, and invited me to attend her church.

I did not want to get involved with church but did not want to reject her request at the same time. I replied, “Okay.”

The church that she attended was a Chinese church located on the north side of Chicago. There, I met many new friends who showed me the love of Christ. I also got involved in their fellowship and other activities. There was also one friend that I met before; this friend was God Himself…

On one of the sports events held by my high school in Hong Kong, a seminary student approached and talked to me about Jesus. After an hour of discussion, he asked me to invite Jesus into my life. I did without a sincere heart. I attended church, fellowship, and Bible study but did not get anything out of it. In other words, I never grew spiritually. Later on, I forgot all about Christ and Christianity and continued to walk my own path.

“Is God calling me again through Ruby?” I wondered. “The elementary school and the high school that I studied at was Christian. I was introduced to Jesus by a seminary student. Now, Ruby is trying to lead me to God. Is God calling me again? Why me?” I pondered with uncertainty.

Joshua 1:5 says, “…..I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Psalm 9:10 also reads,” Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment