Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My father is still treasured in my heart

This is a more detailed version of 'Post Persecution'.

The wind comes as it pleases, sweeping away everything in its path, but it can never blow away my memories.

I was a Buddhist since childhood. During my freshman year in college, I forsook my belief when I came to realize that it could never fill my ‘empty’ heart with ‘love’ I had been looking for.

When I was a sophomore, I met a girl who led me to Christ, and I knew that I finally found the ‘True Love’ in Christ Jesus. Later on, the girl and I fell in love with each other. At first, my parents were very happy to meet her and to get to know her. Joyous were the moments when they welcomed her and accepted her as my girlfriend. However, unexpected, unpleasant events struck us, like a storm forcefully hitting a town without a bit of mercy.

When my parents knew that my Christian faith became strong and firm, they persecuted both of us, falsely accusing her of making me believe in Christianity and blaming God for taking me away from them. I constantly reassured them that I was still their son and that I loved them. My girlfriend also asked me to show them respect no matter what they said. At that time, what we needed to do was to follow the Lord’s guidance one step at a time.

When the storm died down, another one that was severer immediately followed, crashing my heart. That was when my faith in Christ deepened even more. My parents demanded me to leave her. I kindly responded, asking for reasons. They brought out the same words of persecution once more. Facing such attack again, I quietly prayed within my heart and consulted God for wisdom and strength. Who won the battle? The Lord did. My parents at last came to realize that they could no longer take hold of us no matter what they would do. What a victory! Of course, my girlfriend and I forgave them and shared the Gospel with them.

In 1993, my girlfriend and I were engaged. More than a year later, we were married in the Lord’s presence.

Later on, my father was diagnosed with cancer. To our surprise, he humbly asked us to pray for him. At that very moment, I was moved, for the Lord seemed to be working in his life. After he was healed, he even thanked us for our prayers.

About ten years ago, my father fell, got injured on his head, and was sent to the emergency room. That day, I was working in my office in Chicago, Illinois when the news from Hong Kong reached me. I quietly sat in my chair, lowered my head, and prayed. Tears started welling in my eyes, and I drowned myself in sorrow. My wife at once helped me book an air ticket, and I flew to Hong Kong the next day. On the plane, I asked the Lord to keep my father alive, for I really wanted to see him, to talk to him, and to show him that I really loved him. After I arrived at the airport, one of my sisters told me that my father had already passed away. At that very moment, my heart sank, and I wanted to cry but fought back my tears. I wished he had accepted Jesus as his personal Savior. Only God knows.

To this day, I still recall some joyous moments my father and I spent together.
To this day, I still miss him very much.
To this day, my life goes on with him in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment